To be eligible for enrollment in a PK class, a child must be 3 or 4 years of age on September 1 of the current school year and must meet one of the following requirements:
1. be unable to speak and comprehend the English language; or
2. be educationally disadvantaged (eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program [NSLP]; see 7.2.3 PK Eligibility Based on Being Educationally Disadvantaged (Eligible for the NSLP)); or
3. be homeless; or
4. be the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserved component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority; or
5. be the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserved component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty; or
6. have ever been in the conservatorship of the Texas DFPS (foster care) following an adversary hearing.
7. is the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as:
a. a peace officer under Section 3106.002, Government Code;
b. a firefighter under section 3106.003, Government Code; or
c. an emergency medical first responder under Section 3106.004, Government Code.